Saturday, November 1, 2008

An acre for the Lord







Today on this fine Saturday was the running of the Lord's Acre 5 and 10k. For those of you who have never heard of the Lord's Acre here it is in a nutshell. The Lord's Acre festival is a fundraiser started 62 years ago to help out the church in Powell Butte. The festival has crafts, homemade pie, fresh meats cooked right in the ground, and as a few years ago a 5 and 10 kilometer run.



Perhaps the greatest thing about this run is the prizes. No there are no new cars, finisher medals, or airplane tickets to Aruba. But if you by some miracle win your age group you get a whole pie... a pie. And not a pie bought at Safeway the night before on special but a pie made with love and care and lots of butter and sugar. There has never been a race that has made me wish I was faster like this one. But today like virtually all the rest of my events I came up a hare shy of winning the big one but thankfully I married a speedy woman who can bring the noise when it counts. That's right I just put down two pieces of banana cream pie and it was delicious, because my wife is way better at running than I am.
So for all of you who find yourself with nothing to do next November get up off the couch hop in the car and haul it to Powell Butte and give it up for pie and a good cause.

Peace out,
dave

No comments: