Monday, November 2, 2009

Winter Running Favorites from the FootZone staff

Although it's not feeling like Winter on a gorgeous November day like today; we all know that the snow will be flying soon and with the days getting shorter, the frigid Cascade winds blowing down the mountains we all could succumb to the seasons changing as an excuse to stay inside….BUT, with a little help from all of us at the shop we've compiled a list of our much loved-let the snow fly, may blizzards beware, laugh at the shorter days and grin in the cold, stay cozy winter attire that we believe will keep you active all winter long.

Enjoy and we all hope this helps!


Teague

180’s running Gloves- I chuckled at these when I first saw them 4 years ago. When we brought them in the store the following winter and I started running and bike commuting in them I became a huge fan of the retractable little windproof mitten. I’ve got lots of running gloves but these are my favorite and most versatile pair.
Petzl Tikka XP Headlamp- They make a lot of fancy lighting options but this little headlamp lights my way without bouncing around or hurting my head.

Colleen
Sugoi Subzero Zap Knicker- so warm on the quad muscles, but not to hot. Tights are too warm for me and I like to free the calves.

Icebreaker for the top: The Chase zip 200 weight- I know a little light but for me it is perfect. I will wear this up till it gets below 35 degrees then on to my Sugoi speedster another one of my favorites.

Chris
Sporting the Sugoi Tatu armwarmers, Brooks running beanie and mmm, mmm GU Chomps.

Jenny
Sugoi Sensia pant- It's brushed interior keeps me warm while running in Central Oregon's colder winter temps.
Plus, when I don't have time to change out of it, it functions as a comfortable and attractive pant throughout the day. Icebreaker top- I love this product because not only does it keep me nice and toasty, but it also keeps the stink away.

Rob
When life in Central Oregon is frigid, the marriage of my Asics Transitive Boxers and Sugoi Subzero Zap tights treat me right! The Asics boxer has the “gotta love seamless design”, not to mention, the compression technology, this all sport undergarment offers some support and the best part--- lots of warmth! Complimenting the boxers is the Sugoi Subzero Zap Tight. It’s a thermal regulator for the entire leg. They’re coated with DWR (Durable Water Repellent) for those snowy and rainy days, they have 3M Scotchlite reflective accents help keep me seen when it’s dark. In addition to being ideal for running, they’re just the right baselayer for downhill skiing and do not comprise chamois comfort for winter mountain and road biking.
Dave
For winter, I like lots of things. But here is what really makes me happy on those cold days: Sporthill Northwind Unders, aka peter heater. Without these Clay would have never seen the light of day.
I like them because they are soft and the legs are snug and don't ride up while I run. Unlike other windbriefs the Sporthill don't squeeze everything so tight that halfway through your run you can't wait to get home so you can take your underwear off. Second item: I really like weather it is cold or not is 4" cuffs on my Sock Guy socks. When it is cold they keep your ankles covered and you nice and toasty. When it is warm they look really neeto with shorts.

Tonya
Sugoi speedster- when it’s really cold, I love having a hood. For the first 20 min. I run with the hood on over my hat. Then flip it off when I warm up without having to lose a layer. Super easy. It’s nice to have if the wind kicks up, starts to snow, etc.
Patagonia alpine beanie- I always run with a light weight hat in winter this one works well for me.
Smartwool liner gloves- light, comfortable.

Kristen
*Chocolate Outrage GU... No ifs ands or buts... It is the stuff that warms you up and keeps you smiling... or running!

*My fun-new girly Smartwool running hat... Life is short~make a statement!... It keeps me cozy and stylish!


Ryan
Northwind Underwear by Sporthill - When the wind picks up and the mercury drops the beans and frank like to stay warm. Seriously, the underwear has a special barrier that is windproof and it really works and makes winter running better.
Skull Cap - Brooks new one is cool because it has holes on top. Just enough to let some air our but keeps in most of the heat so your body can stay warm and it protects your ears.
Gloves - All of them. I have about 4 different pairs for different conditions. My 180's with the wind and water resistant mitten cover are nice but they are only for really cold days.
Sugoi Tights - don't remember which ones they are but bought them last year at the FZ. They have zippers on the bottom and a back pocket. They are warm and easy to get on and off with the ankle zippers. The pocket is just enough for a key, money, gel or mp3. They also have light fuzzy inside.
Smartwool socks - nothing is better, not much more to say.
(Not pictured)
Nancy
1. Yak Trax I truly LOVE them because they allow me to be out on my favorite trails all winter. Some of my most memorable runs have been after a big snowfall, and I meet my “little friends” out on the river, and we have an amazing time. (And no slipping!!) I love that I can get out with the dog any day, in any weather, and not have to worry about falling.
2. Nike Soft hand L/S shirt. It is soooooooooo cozy and warm and the color we have in the shop is BEAUTIFUL. (Even on me!) It has some reflective detailing, and that will keep me safe and sound when I run with the LTR group IN THE DARK this winter.
Thank you for the opportunity to tell you about some of my favorite things (sung in the tune of “theas are a few of my favorite things” from “The Sound of Music”.)
Melanie
1. The 180 Convertible running gloves that turn into mittens are great. Warm without being confining and versatile without being cumbersome!
2. Sugoi’s Sensia Pant is just right; because it’s the right something on the bottom half! It changes with the weather of course, but whatever I choose has to be comfortable and flexible have little pockets.

1 comment:

jason said...

Oh, geez, I sure miss you guys. As I was reading through all your suggestions thinking about the frosty morning runs around Awbrey (sp) butte and Phil's aargh, we miss it.

Dave - dude, I started cracking when I read your review of the under garments. Hilarious. Peter heater. Gonna have to remember that one.