Thursday, February 11, 2010

Recovery

In the past few weeks I've been reminded just how important recovery is and how few take advantage of the opportunities to improve it. I've watched some good friends and VERY active people sample their first recovery drinks. Inevitably, they are amazed at how well they work and I am amazed that they've never used a recovery drink before. You've probably heard how important it is to hydrate, replenish some carbs, and get some protein within 30 minutes after a workout. The question is: do you do it? There are lots of reasons that we don't. Often, I think it's simply because we don't feel like it. When you get done with a hard workout the last thing you want to do is drink a shake or eat some food. I understand, but highly encourage you to keep experimenting until you find something that works for you.
Several of us at the shop are addicted to Hammer Recoverite but there lots of options both in the powdered and real food form. I like something liquid simply because my body can absorb it so effectively and quickly. We have lots of conversations about why this works so well and we know that it's the carbs and protein but are equally convinced that it's just so important to get something into your body during that crucial window. That jump start on recovery makes it so much easier to continue hydrating and you'll feel a difference both immediately and the next morning. Despite being likened to drug dealers, we've been known to offer up a sample so come on by and test it out for yourself after your next challenging workout. Cheers-Teague

1 comment:

Ron Deems said...

After trying it out during the cascades lakes relay I have become a big fan. I use it after harder runs, and other foods for the easier runs.